The Evaluator’s Toolkit: A Collection of My Recommendations
The availability of information on monitoring and evaluation has skyrocketed as the field professionalizes and as demand for evaluation services increases. This wealth of information is a hallmark of the field’s productivity, but often appears intimidating to emerging practitioners as they look to develop their skills. Here you will find a collection of my recommendations that are both great resources for beginners and tried and true go-to-guides for seasoned professionals.
Page Turners: Nothing Beats a Good Book
- Evaluation: A Systematic Approach (7th edition) by Rossi, Lipsey, & Freeman.
- RealWorld Evaluation: Working Under Budget, Time, Data, and Political Constraints (2nd edition).
- Program Evaluation and Performance Measurement: An Introduction to Practice by James McDavid.
- Utilization-Focused Evaluation (4th edition) by Michael Quinn Patton
- Developmental Evaluation by Michael Quinn Patton.
- Empowerment Evaluation: Principles in Practice by David Fetterman.
- The Road to Results: Designing and Conducting Effective Development Evaluations by Morra & Rist.
- Ten Steps for Building Results-Based Monitoring and Evaluation Systems by Rist & Kuesk.
- Practical Program Evaluation by Joseph Wholey.
- Fourth Generation Evaluation by Guba & Lincoln.
- Purposeful Program Theory: Effective Use of Theories of Change and Logic Models by Funnell & Rogers.
Evaluation Standards and Competencies
- The Program Evaluation Standards: A Guide for Evaluators and Evaluation Users (3rd edition).
- AEA Guiding Principles for Evaluators
- AEA Statement on Cultural Competence in Evaluations
- The Functional Art: An Introduction to Information Graphics and Visualization by Alberto Cairo.
- Data Visualizations: A Successful Design Process by Andy Kirk
- Envisioning Information by Edward Tufte
- Information Dashboard Design: The Effective Visual Communication of Data by Stephen Few
- Show Me the Numbers: Designing Graphs and Tables to Enlighten by Stephen Few
- Evaluation Checklists by the Evaluation Center at Western Michigan University
- Most Significant Change Technique
- Real-Time Evaluations (RTE) of Humanitarian Action
- Rosetta Stone of Logical Frameworks
- Results-Based Management Translated Glossary (English, Spanish, French)
- Unlearning Social Scientist Habits (for Evaluators)
- Difference Between Evaluation and Research (Hourglass Model by John LaVelle)
Professional Communities: Networking and PD on a Global Scale
- American Evaluation Association (AEA)
- International Development Evaluation Association (IDEAS)
- International Organization for Cooperation in Evaluation (IOCE)
- Mapping of Existing Voluntary Organizations for Professional Evaluations
- Latin American and Caribbean M&E Networks (ReLAC) (REDLACME)
- Regional Platform for Evaluation Capacity Building in Latin America and the Caribbean (PREVAL)
- African Evaluation Association
- Australasian Evaluation Society
- Canadian Evaluation Society
- European Evaluation Society
- The MENA Evaluators Network
- Community Indicators Consortium
- Regional Centers for Learning on Evaluation and Results (CLEAR)
Online Learning: Get Started With Just One Click
- Better Evaluation
- DM&E for Peacebuilding
- My M&E
- Learn Mande
- USAID Learning Lab
- AEA 365 Tip-a-Day Email Alert
- AEA Coffee Break Webinar
- AEA eStudy Workshops
- AEA Potent Presentations Initiative
- AEA Resource Library
- Coursera (repository of Massive Open Online Courses–MOOCs)
- MIT Open Courseware
- UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism – Data Visualization
- Knight Center for Journalism in the Americas – Data Visualization
- Nonprofit Technology Network (NTEN)
Evaluation and Development: Resources for International Development Practice
- Participatory Methods – Institute of Development Studies
- Managing for Impact (M4I) – Participatory Planning, Monitoring, and Evaluation
- KM4Dev – Knowledge Management for Development
- Evidence-Based Policy in Development Network (EBPDN)
- RAPID / ODI – Research and Policy in Development / Overseas Development Institute
- Last Mile Learning
- Outcome Mapping Learning Community
- Net-Map Toolbox: Influence Mapping of Social Networks
- Evaluation Capacity Development Group
- Independent Evaluation Group (IEG) – World Bank
- OECD DAC Evaluation Network
- Positive Deviance Initiative (PDI)